A comprehensive, schoolwide approach to social-emotional learning can increase the likelihood of positive outcomes for your students and school. Now that we're nearing the middle of the school year, it‘s a great time to evaluate your Second Step® program's use and reflect with your staff on schoolwide implementation practices.
Here are some resources we provide within our Second Step programs to help you easily accomplish the recommended mid-year implementation tasks:
Second Step® Early Learning and Elementary classroom kits
Review the recommended tasks and utilize the resources in the "Support" section of Implementation Tasks (Early Learning | Elementary) to help teachers reflect on and improve their teaching practices as well as continue to ensure your school staff and community are informed about how your school's program implementation is going.
Second Step® Elementary and Middle School digital programs
- Review your school’s pacing guide alongside the Lesson Progress report to determine how your school's program use is going and adjust your implementation plan as needed.
- Provide coaching and feedback to lesson instructors by conducting lesson observations using our Lesson Observation Rubric.
- Give staff the opportunity to reflect on their experiences with the program and engage in whole group discussions to celebrate successes and explore opportunities for improvement by scheduling and facilitating a Mid-Year Check-In at an upcoming all-staff meeting.
In addition, we recommend administering the Implementation Readiness Survey, found at the bottom of the "Program Roll-out" section of the Planning Schoolwide Implementation article (Elementary | Middle School).
- The survey is designed to help you identify additional areas of coaching and support opportunities for lesson instructors and other school staff.
- Based on survey results, use the suggested next steps to boost motivation and support continuous improvement of your staff's program implementation.
- If you administered the Implementation Readiness Survey at the beginning of the year, you can also plan to celebrate any improvements in overall implementation readiness at your Mid-Year Check-In staff meeting by comparing your beginning-of-year survey results with your mid-year survey results.
Second Step® SEL for Adults
Utilize the recommendations and resources provided in the Support Implementation article found in the Leader Hub to ensure a smooth program implementation. You can choose to use the support(s) based upon what you think will be most useful to your staff.
Second Step® Out-of-School Time classroom kits
Review and utilize the recommendations provided in Section 4 of the Out-of-School Time program Implementation Guide article to learn more about how you can best support program outcomes.
Second Step program experts are available to help you design a plan for monitoring implementation that best meets the needs of your school or district. Please reach out to your Customer Success Manager and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.