As the 2021–2022 school year comes to an end, it’s a good time to review this year’s additions to Second Step SEL for Adults, preview updates for 2022–2023, and get important administrative reminders to prepare for the summer and upcoming school year.
How has Second Step® SEL for Adults been updated this year and what updates can I expect for the coming school year?
The following resources were added to the program during the 2021–2022 school year:
- Module 3: Equity & Belonging
- Dig Deeper, Broaden Your Knowledge, and Implementation Supports pages to provide leaders with additional content and support for delivering the program to educators and staff
These additional updates will be made available during the 2022–23 school year:
- Module 4: Resilience & Efficacy
- Second Step SEL for Adults Progress Reporting Tool
- Improvements to implementation resources
What are some implementation tips and reminders or the summer and upcoming school year?
Please review the following for items that apply to you.
- I want my staff to complete part of Second Step® SEL for Adults this summer. Do you have any advice?
Based on your team’s availability and their scheduled professional development time, you can complete anywhere from a few microlearnings to an entire module this summer. Some schools may complete a single unit together during their summer professional development time, while others may spend 1–2 days completing a full program module. Choose what best suits your staff’s needs.
- We’re not planning to start a new Second Step® SEL for Adults module until the fall. Do you know how we can keep staff engaged in SEL this summer to maintain program buy-in?
Absolutely! Pick one or two activities to do with all staff the next time you are together to drum up energy and engage in fun and meaningful ways.
You can also meet with your Leader Team to plan and prepare for next year’s curriculum. If you’re starting the program in the fall, set aside time to complete the Leader Team module and create your plan to roll out the program with your staff.
- I’m a first-time user of Second Step® SEL for Adults. Where can I find more information on how to get started?
If you’re just getting started, we’re here for you! We recommend that district leaders review the District Supports page in your Dashboard as you plan how to kick off the program district-wide. Site leaders can review this blog post to learn helpful tips for getting started with the program.
- Are there other Second Step® SEL for Adults updates I should know about?
Not at this time. If you missed our Module 3: Equity & Belonging release update, you can review the FAQ to learn more about the module’s topics and learning objectives and find recommendations for how to implement it in alignment with your goals.
- Will there be any program reset activities over the summer for Second Step® SEL for Adults?
No. This professional development is intended to be used over multiple years. We will not reset the program data, and any progress over time will be maintained.
- Do I need to take any action to ensure all our staff have access to Second Step® SEL for Adults next year?
All users who are assigned to your site’s license will remain on your license roster as we progress into the new school year. We do recommend you ensure your list of educators and staff is up to date in the program. You can find a refresher on how to add or remove users in this user management tutorial for site leaders.
- Where can I find information about updates to other Second Step® programs?
A program refresh and some content updates for a few other Second Step programs will be happening on June 24, 2022. Read more about those updates in the FAQ links below: