We’re expanding the Spanish-language materials in our social-emotional learning (SEL) programs. For before-school and after-school providers, an entirely new Spanish-language version of Second Step® Out-of-School Time will be available in October. We’re also adding Spanish-language materials to the Second Step® Elementary and Second Step® Middle School digital programs beginning in July and continuing through the coming year.
Second Step® Out-of-School Time
When will the Spanish version of Second Step® Out-of-School Time be available?
The Spanish version of Second Step Out-of-School Time, Second Step® Programa extraescolar, will be available for purchase beginning October 15, 2021.
Is Second Step® Programa extraescolar only available to clients who have purchased the English version?
You have the option of purchasing Second Step Out-of-School Time in English or Spanish, or purchasing both the English and Spanish versions. We’re committed to offering our clients the flexibility to best serve every child in their diverse communities and further every child’s social-emotional development.
Where can clients learn more about Second Step® Programa extraescolar?
Watch our social channels for updates:
- Second Step® programs on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/2ndStepProgram
- Second Step Community page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/SecondStepCommunity/
- Second Step programs on Twitter: https://twitter.com/2ndstepprogram
We’ll also communicate updates in our monthly client enewsletters. As we get closer to the program’s availability in October, this FAQ will be updated and program details will be added to our website.
Why is Committee for Children prioritizing the development of the Spanish version of Second Step® Out-of-School Time right now?
Committee for Children is dedicated to helping Second Step® clients better serve the Hispanic community and advance every child’s social-emotional development. We’re prioritizing Spanish versions of Second Step Out-of-School Time as well as the Second Step® Elementary and Second Step® Middle School digital programs. Of the three programs, the Spanish version of Second Step Out-of-School Time will be fully available in October to meet time-constrained funding requirements. Lesson plans and student handouts for the Second Step Elementary digital program will be available earlier, with Unit 1 and Unit 2 available in August and Unit 3 in September.
Will the Spanish version of Second Step® Out-of-School Time cost extra?
Yes. The program will cost $499, the same as the English version. It will include the same materials: 12 durable, spiral-bound notebooks.
Second Step® Elementary and Second Step® Middle School Digital Programs
Will the entirety of the Second Step® Elementary and Second Step® Middle School digital programs be translated into Spanish?
Yes. The entirety of these two digital programs will be translated in stages over the coming year:
- Family communications are available in the Second Step Elementary digital program on July 1 and are available now in Second Step® Middle School
- Second Step Elementary digital program open house materials (presentation and flyer) will be available on July 1
- Lesson plans and student handouts will become available between August and November for the Second Step Elementary digital program
- Lesson plans and student handouts will be available late fall and early next year for Second Step® Middle School
- Lesson presentations will also be versioned in Spanish; specific timing is not known at this time
- Program media will remain in English but will be versioned for Spanish speakers; the approach to versioning is not known at this time
- All administrative components, such as navigation, training, and program resources will remain in English save for weekly family communications
Will Spanish materials for the Second Step® Elementary and Second Step® Middle School digital programs cost extra?
Committee for Children is pleased to provide Spanish-language materials for the Second Step Elementary and Second Step® Middle School digital programs at no additional cost to clients.
Can I purchase the Spanish versions of the Second Step® Elementary and Second Step® Middle School digital programs without the English versions?
Spanish-language materials are not offered separately for the Second Step Elementary and Second Step Middle School digital programs. We understand many of our clients have multilingual classrooms, so we’ve designed the user experience to provide Spanish materials alongside English ones, giving educators the option and flexibility to use whichever materials work best in helping their student learn.