Because many schools are looking at different reentry options for back-to-school, we’ve created additional resources that are available on our COVID-19 resources page. Here are the best ways to use the new resources, along with the updated program, based on your reentry plan.
Resources for Teaching Second Step Middle School Lessons in Person
- In the first five weeks, teach our new Community (Re)Building Unit to help reconnect and rebuild classroom communities that meet in person. The unit includes five lessons, all for Grades 6–8. It is available now on our COVID-19 resources page.
- Following the August 28 release of the updated Second Step Middle School program, begin teaching Unit 1: Mindsets & Goals, followed by Unit 2: Recognizing Bullying & Harassment (approximately 13 weeks). Units 3 and 4 will be released in fall, ready to be used on-schedule.
- Throughout the reentry period, use Second Step advisory activities. These are always a good addition to your program. Advisory activities are flexible for fluctuating schedules and available now.
Resources for Teaching Second Step Middle School Lessons Remotely
- Use the Second Step Middle School program’s 200-plus advisory activities to help build a sense of community. Second Step Middle School Remote Learning Advisory Guide helps you adapt the advisory activities for remote use. The guide is available now, with revisions expected.
- Following the August 28 release of the updated Second Step Middle School program, begin teaching Unit 1: Mindsets & Goals, followed by Unit 2: Recognizing Bullying & Harassment, using the 2020–2021 Second Step Plan. The 2020–2021 Second Step Plan is designed to adapt the program for remote and hybrid learning and is available now on our COVID-19 Resources Page.
Resources for Supporting Your Staff
- Help staff cope with hardship and stress by providing Resilience After Crisis, a prototype unit of our Second Step SEL for Adults program. Click here to get started now.
- Provide an overview of the updated Second Step Middle School program so teachers can become familiar with the new material.
- If your staff will be teaching the Second Step Middle School program remotely or in a hybrid model, coach them on best practices using the Remote and Hybrid Adaptation Guides, including the Alternative Scope and Sequence. These guides will be available on August 1.